Friday, March 15, 2013

Research Review Blog #2





Robbins, Alexandra. Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities. New York: Hyperion, 2004. Print.

"Pledged" is about four girls who pledge a sorority, and all of their trials and tribulations they go through during their pledge process. The four girls go through life experiences they never would have if they had never joined a sorority. It shows how shallow sororities can be, while also showing how much it can change a person. The book also touches upon how the pledging process alone is a shallow-minded, sometimes prejudice act. 

Alexandra Robbins wrote 4 New York Times Best Sellers. She appeared on numerous talk shows, and does public speaking for all of the books she has written. She also won the only People's choice award for literature for her most recent book, "Greeks Will Inherit The Earth."

Pledging: (verb) Commit (a person or organization) by solemn promise. 
Hazing: (verb) Force to perform strenuous, humiliating, or dangerous task. 

"I don't think I realized to the extent how much I was an outsider, however, until I found myself smack in a busting epicenter of sorority life.." This quote, although the introduction, shows how much being involved can also make someone feel so isolated. It can brain wash a person into thinking they need to be involved in an organization to fit in.

"There are three stages of sorority life: on bid day when a girl accepts her 'bid', or invitation to join the sorority, she comes a 'pledge' of that group." I need to introduce all of the different aspects of being a member of Greek life, before I jump right into my topic. This book defines a lot of the different aspects.

"Many sorority girls find the hunt for dates to various sorority events and activities an exhausting process. Not only do they have to find people to go with them in the first place, but they often carefully weight the acceptability of potential date because the date reflects on the sister and the sisterhood." This was another quote I found that shows how shallow some Greek organiziations can be.

This novel will help me with my paper because I can give examples of how "pledging" a sorority or Greek organization can involve hazing.
Haz


1 comment:

  1. What is going on with your text? It is unreadable in places. Can you fix that? Otherwise, good. This looks like a useful book.

    ReplyDelete