Sunday, February 10, 2013

I want my paper to be about the correlation between alcohol use and the accumulation of debt that college students acquire. It boggles my mind that students who have so much debt accumulating after they graduate, do not have part time jobs. Instead, they spend the little money they do have on buying alcohol, and spend their time partying, rather than trying to put a small amount of money aside to begin a fund for paying back student loans. I am going to have some loans when I graduate, however, I have a part time job, and do not choose to spend my money on alcohol. Some college kids I know have literally twenty dollars to their name, go out partying every weekend, and just hope that once they graduate, they will automatically have a high-paying job that will allow them to pay back their loans. However, the world is not always that simple, and although they may be having fun partying and illegally consuming alcohol, the debt crisis is only getting worse. I am going to explain these issue while getting statistics and other factual information on alcohol use in places of higher education, and how it affects a student's finances.

1 comment:

  1. I think college drinking is certainly a viable topic, as is the problem of debt. I am not sure they are connected, but I would think that people with low impulse control would likely get in trouble with both drink and debt. As for your idea of holding a job to keep expenses under control -- there was an article just today in the NY Times on that:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/business/college-costs-battled-a-paycheck-at-a-time.html

    ReplyDelete